Saturday, October 25, 2008

Don't Get Me Wrong

Reason, Rational Self–Interest

Even though I've tried to make it clear that I don't support John McCain, that I'm only voting for him and not Barack Obama for the same reason I'd rather have cancer than AIDS, I here's one bit of evidence from the mountain I could produce that proves he's utterly incompetent to hold any office, let alone the highest in the land. In an interview on 2008.10.22 with Wolf Blitzer of CNN Shout Out: Paul Saunders, via email, he said the following:

The first role of government is to help people who are in crisis or need.

Compare this bit of mental midgetry with someone else's statement of the purpose of government:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men

I first became aware of politics at about age 7, during the Nixon/Humphrey election of 1968. Other than them, leading up to this year, the presidential candidates that count whom I've seen are Wallace, McGovern, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Anderson, Mondale, Bush I, Dukakis, Clinton, Perot, Dole, Bush II, Gore, Kerry, and, of course, Pat Paulsen. This year represents the nadir of quality for the choice for president. (Speaking of nadirs, Nader is far below that.)

Obama will be a swift, unmitigated disaster for this country, but I'm nonetheless disgusted that McCain is what stands as the lesser of these ridiculously great evils.

Back to top

No comments: